The fourth informal urban initiatives conference Delai Sammit will take place at the ZIL Cultural center in Moscow on April 19-20. The Delai Sammit / DIY Conference is the embodiment of practical philosophy of personal involvement and collective action with the idea of changing oneselves, one´s society and cities. The conference provides space for learning and interaction among people who are not indifferent to their cities. The Delai Sammit focuses on the most interesting and effective cases of civil actions and initiatives aimed at creating a friendlier urban space.
The Conference will be launched with lectures and discussions on April 19. Then, on April 20, different workshops, film screenings and other special events will be held, kicking off a series of similar events throughout the week at different venues around the city.
The Delai Sammit program includes 4 thematic categories:
- Street Art
The Urbanism block is dedicated to people and communities as well as the role of technologies in promoting urban changes.
- Daniel Latorre (USA) — expert of Project for public space (PPS), ideologist of the Digital placemaking concept that has been used to develop and implement online tools for changing urban space by the citizens.
- Raimonds Elbakjans, director of the youth street culture and sports movement Ghetto Games and organizer of street sports championships under the same name in residential areas of Riga.
In the Street Art block famous theorists and urban art curators will talk about various urban intervention tactics.
- Alain Bieber, art critic, curator and author of Rebelart.net, one of the most influential street art and art activism blogs, and books Art Agenda and Urban Interventions.
- Margarita Augustin, specialist in Art History, researcher at the Department of Art History at the University of Freiburg (Germany).
- Sasha Kurmaz, street artist and photographer from Kiev.
- Vladimir Turner (Czech Republic), urban interventionist who combines documentary techniques, urban art and activism in his works.
The Self-Organization block will be focused on the successful examples of citizen self-organization. Philosophers and practitioners, artists, activists and founders of informal creative spaces will get together to share their experience with other conference participants.
Alexander Volodarsky, Ukrainian civic activist, actionist artist and blogger.
At the Advocacy section participants will learn about existing tools for territory protection (public hearings, referendums, media campaigns, etc.) and real examples of their application.
- Screening of films and videos of the Delai Film / Make a Film Activist Documentary Film Festival.
- World art activism fair under the curatorship of Alan Bieber (Strasbourg, France).
- Hackathon, a marathon of developing new useful web services and mobile applications.
The Conference will open the Delai Sam / DIY Urban Actions Marathon.
Where: ZIL Culture center, 4 Vostochnaya Ul., Bldg. 1, Avtozavodskaya metro station.
When: April 19-20 2014, 11:00-20:00.
Festival initiators — the civil initiatives community:
Ecowiki.ru Community Project, Partizaning Project, Moscow Youth Multifunction Center, Guerilla Gardening Movement, Greenhouse of Social Technologies Project.